Cozy Mulled Cider
What could be more comforting than a warm, fragrant glass of mulled cider on a cold or rainy day? I have a fond memory from when I was younger of going to a dear friend's house and her mother would do a similar combination of this just in warm water to make their home smell of the season. It stands out to me so vividly as a scent and warmth that brought consolation and coziness.
Serve up that same sense of home to your family and friends this Thanksgiving and Christmas season. Allow your domestic church to be a fond memory for others with this delicious drink. There is something so communal about standing around a simmering pot of cider with hands cupped around warm mugs.
Ready to get started?
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Yields: 8-10 servings
1. 8 cups apple cider 2. 2 cinnamon sticks 3. 3 allspice beads 4. 2 whole cloves 5. 1 whole orange sliced 6. 3 star anise 7. 1/4 cup fresh cranberries
1. Pour 8 cups of apple cider into a large sauce pot or Dutch oven and bring that to a simmer, barely bubbling
2. Add in 2 cinnamon sticks, 3 allspice beads, 2 whole cloves, 1 whole orange sliced, 3 star anise, and 1/4 cup fresh cranberries
3. Let your ingredients simmer for at least 20 minutes
4. Ladle into warm in mugs
(If there are undesired particulates use a sieve to remove when serving)
5. Garnish with a cinnamon stick and an orange slice on the rim
Want to make this drink a little more jolly?
Kick it up a notch by adding a touch of alcohol. This is what I would recommend.
A good ratio would be 1 oz alcohol for every 7-8 oz glass of mulled cider. Or you can just pour a little uncalculated splash into each mug and say cheers!
So, cheers, friends!